Welcome to Wedding Ideas Chat
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Marks and Spencer Cake brides!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

waddy80

waddy80

Forum Star

• Members
  • 1192 posts
Hi ladies,

After much research and debate (and even contemplating baking my own) I have decided to buy my cake from M & S. So I thought we could have a marks and spencer cake thread for help and support.

I will try and update this first post with useful links.

If there are any marrieds out there with pictures of what they did it would be great to see them.

TRADITIONAL CAKES CURRENTLY ON 3 FOR 2

Marks and spencer cakes

How to choose your wedding cake

YouTube video How to assemble a wedding cake

FAQ's taken from M & S site:

CAKES

-Can I change the ribbon, cake boards, colour or decoration of my cake?

All products are sold as shown in the individual product details and no changes can be made.

-Can I change the type of cake fruit, sponge or chocolate if that option is not shown?

All products are sold as shown in the individual product details and no changes can be made.

-Is there alcohol in the fruitcake?

Yes, the fruitcake contains brandy.

-Does the jam have seeds and colourings?

Jam is seedless. Our cakes are free from artificial colours and flavourings.

-How long can I make my message on a personalised cake?

Messages can be up to 40 characters long, including spaces. Characters can only be letters or numbers.

-Can I change the type of cake in assorted wedding cakes, i.e. romantic pearl has large fruit, medium sponge and small chocolate. Can I choose my own options?

-Can the milk chocolate rose cake have white roses and vice versa?

-How do I stack or tier my wedding cake?

To tier cakes with pillars, you will need to buy pillars and dowels in store. To stack cakes directly on top of each other, use polystyrene blocks or secure with dowels.

-Which types of cake can be stacked or tiered?

You can stack or tier sponge and chocolate cakes together, or fruitcakes together. If you are stacking or tiering assorted cakes, always put the fruitcake at the bottom. Fruitcake is too heavy to be stacked on top of sponge or chocolate cake.

-How can I buy pillars, dowels and decorations for my wedding cake?

These accessories can be ordered from the food ordering point in your local store. Some stores already hold stock of these items.

-What are the measurements of the cutting cake bars?

Cutting bars measure 28cm by 9.5cm and they give 22 portions.

-What are the measurements of the polystyrene blocks for stacking?

Polystyrene blocks are 4.9cm high, 10.2cm wide and 32cm long.

-What are the measurements of the dowels?

Dowels are 17.5cm long and can be cut to size.

Waddy xx

Edited by waddy80, 23 March 2009 - 09:27 PM.

ContraryMary

ContraryMary

viking bride......hey look no horns!

• Members
  • 3009 posts
an M&S cake bride here.

We are having this one with ivory icing. We are going to swap the ribbon when we get it for a tartan ribbon and have our own topper from Artlocke designs.

It will be all chocolate and we are buying a plain and fruit cutting block for additional guests and for choice.

Wilkos-babe

Wilkos-babe

Master Planner

• Members
  • 6286 posts
m&s cakes are great if you are on a budget,but after looking into them myself for my own wedding and having a mum who is a cakemaker we decided against it as they are tiny..very shallow,no depth..great if thats what you want but i was a fussy moo and wanted deeper cakes as the decoration i had wouldnt of looked right
in the end i paid 120 for 3 deep layers via a local cakenmaker..one choc fudge,one carrot and one coffee smile.gif decorated with pink wired garlands smile.gif

Beadspoke Tiara

Beadspoke Tiara

Wedding Whizz

• Wedding Ideas advertisers
  • 4101 posts
I had an M&S cake and yes, they're not very deep, but for brides who are perhaps having a fairly small wedding and/or on a budget they are ideal (and they taste gorgeous!).

I had three fruit cakes stacked with pillars and decorated them myself with ribbons and handmade sugar roses to compliment those in my bouquet. I also decorated my sister's M&S cake with a posy of sugar flowers and garlands of tiny lilac and pink sugar flowers round the sides. I can still recall how many hours I sat there in the evenings making them!

The only negative for me really was the ready done piped icing round the edges - I'd have preferred plain, which gives more scope for your own decorations.

ContraryMary

ContraryMary

viking bride......hey look no horns!

• Members
  • 3009 posts
QUOTE (Mrs justsarah @ Mar 21 2009, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
in the end i paid 120 for 3 deep layers via a local cakenmaker..one choc fudge,one carrot and one coffee smile.gif decorated with pink wired garlands smile.gif

if I could find a cake maker who charged that I would go for it. But as it is they want my arms AND my legs off and for a cake they can go nanas.
I wouldn't say particularly that we are on a budget, I just cannot justify over 200 for a cake. If it wasn't for the amount of messing about I would make it myself

jc2b2703

jc2b2703

Posting Pro

• Members
  • 737 posts
we've ordered the ivory fruit cake and 2 sponge cutting bars....i pick them up on thursday from belfast but they were ordered in middlesbrough so we'll see how it goes!

J x

~Boom~

~Boom~

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 3535 posts
Here's mine, a good quality, deep, fruit cake, 3 tiers, buy two get third free...and yummmy!
We added a topper and ribbon and borrowed cake stand from the hotel. About 120 all in!

* louise *

* louise *

• Members
  • 213 posts
we got our floristto decorate our m&s cake with fresh flowers
cake

waddy80

waddy80

Forum Star

• Members
  • 1192 posts
Thanks for the replies ladies. I wish I could find a local cake maker, but the cheapest I've managed is 220, so as mentioned above they can go and take a running jump.

I'm going to have a bottom tier of fruit, 2 sponge tiers and 2 choc cutting bars. This comes to 116. We currently have 180 on guest list this would give 188 portions. I might get another fruit cutting bar for relatives who can't make it.

I'm going to stack mine without the pillars (as the youtube video above)

Quick question for the ladies who have done it, when did you order your cake?

~Boom~

~Boom~

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 3535 posts
QUOTE (waddy80 @ Mar 21 2009, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the replies ladies. I wish I could find a local cake maker, but the cheapest I've managed is 220, so as mentioned above they can go and take a running jump.

I'm going to have a bottom tier of fruit, 2 sponge tiers and 2 choc cutting bars. This comes to 116. We currently have 180 on guest list this would give 188 portions. I might get another fruit cutting bar for relatives who can't make it.

I'm going to stack mine without the pillars (as the youtube video above)

Quick question for the ladies who have done it, when did you order your cake?

I bought off the shelf, but they were all fruit so have a longer shelf life... xxx

LouiseK

LouiseK

Posting Pro

• Members
  • 914 posts
Bloomin 'eck, didn't realise M&S did such fab looking cakes.

I wondered why everyone kept on gong on about them smile.gif

waddy80

waddy80

Forum Star

• Members
  • 1192 posts
QUOTE (LouiseK @ Mar 21 2009, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bloomin 'eck, didn't realise M&S did such fab looking cakes.

I wondered why everyone kept on gong on about them smile.gif

They taste good too!

Mrs Pea

Mrs Pea

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 3214 posts
QUOTE (waddy80 @ Mar 21 2009, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They taste good too!

They do indeed! We had an M&S cake, bottom tier fruit, then chocolate, then lemon sponge, it was fab and very pretty. Pics in my sig xx

angel delight

angel delight

HRH Wedding Ideas!

• Members
  • 13890 posts
We had the traditional wedding cake with the 3 tiers and additional cutting bars and it was lovely!

Had a combination of fruit, sponge and chocolate.

But they did mess up our order.......................
See here: http://www.wedding-i...e...=125145&hl=

They did get it sorted though so it was not a mega disaster!

x

waddy80

waddy80

Forum Star

• Members
  • 1192 posts
Bounce

Blackcat

Blackcat

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 3467 posts
<<<<<<our cake

We had the romantic pearl one, in chocolate cake - it was v yummy wink.gif

rocky

rocky

• Members
  • 165 posts
We are ahving the white chocolate rose cake in chocolate. Ordered it yesterday. Am a bit worried now as some of you are saying that the cakes arent too deep or big. I thought it looked pretty deep i the pics!?!?!?!

well as long as it tastes nice!

xxxxxxx

jackie mil2b

jackie mil2b

• Members
  • 178 posts
Gem was going to get a M&S cake but then when they checked up on the measurements (they were going to have the one with the roses down in ivory thats stacked one on top of another) it was only 19 cms (7.5 inches) high and they couldnt imagine how a cake of that size would feed 140 people as stated in the brochure. They were very disappointed as they had set their hearts on this cake, and the price was right too. I will admit they do look nice and I expect being from M&S they will tase good too but they dare not take the risk on it being too small.

They got a quote for the same price from a local cake shop, which was going to be at least 12 inches high (cant remember the cms they quoted) and then other one from some lady in the village where we live for 140 and they were going to go with her until Gem's dad suprised them and told them he was getting them one from a leading cake shop in the area. They just dont know anything about it now but, as they say, at least they are not having to pay for it!

waddy80

waddy80

Forum Star

• Members
  • 1192 posts
Just a quick note to say I walked through my local M & S today and the traditional cakes were all on 3 for 2. I asked at the food order counter and she said these promotions normally last for 6 weeks. But she also said I couldn't order until 3 months before. So therefore I will miss out on the savings!

Spuddy

Spuddy

HRH Wedding Ideas!

• Members
  • 19537 posts
QUOTE (rocky @ Mar 23 2009, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We are ahving the white chocolate rose cake in chocolate. Ordered it yesterday. Am a bit worried now as some of you are saying that the cakes arent too deep or big. I thought it looked pretty deep i the pics!?!?!?!

well as long as it tastes nice!

xxxxxxx

QUOTE (jackie mil2b @ Mar 23 2009, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gem was going to get a M&S cake but then when they checked up on the measurements (they were going to have the one with the roses down in ivory thats stacked one on top of another) it was only 19 cms (7.5 inches) high and they couldnt imagine how a cake of that size would feed 140 people as stated in the brochure. They were very disappointed as they had set their hearts on this cake, and the price was right too. I will admit they do look nice and I expect being from M&S they will tase good too but they dare not take the risk on it being too small.

They got a quote for the same price from a local cake shop, which was going to be at least 12 inches high (cant remember the cms they quoted) and then other one from some lady in the village where we live for 140 and they were going to go with her until Gem's dad suprised them and told them he was getting them one from a leading cake shop in the area. They just dont know anything about it now but, as they say, at least they are not having to pay for it!

I think the deminsions on the internet are incorrect. I got the Chocolate Rose cake and after I ordered saw the dimensions and freaked . However it fed around 100 people and we had the top tier left over to give to the nurses in the Hospice who where caring for my dad. One of my Dad's relations is a snobby so and so and her daughters cake was by the same people who made Chantel & Prestons and are a famous company - well she couldn't get over the fact the cake was M&S !!!

I can't recommend the cake enough for the price of it

bottom tier before assembled
Top tier before assembled

Set Up On Cake Table
Cake against real people for size guide lol (password ibiza)

Hope this helps someone

Guest_Jood_*

Guest_Jood_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (waddy80 @ Mar 23 2009, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a quick note to say I walked through my local M & S today and the traditional cakes were all on 3 for 2. I asked at the food order counter and she said these promotions normally last for 6 weeks. But she also said I couldn't order until 3 months before. So therefore I will miss out on the savings!

Thanks for mentioning this! happy.gif Sorry you can't take advantage of it though.

My question is does anyone know if 2" ribbon will swamp their standard wedding cake? I thought it would be fine but then I realised the cakes don't look that tall.

angel delight

angel delight

HRH Wedding Ideas!

• Members
  • 13890 posts
QUOTE (Princessaly @ Mar 23 2009, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't recommend the cake enough for the price of it

Completely agree with the M&S cakes.

x

waddy80

waddy80

Forum Star

• Members
  • 1192 posts
QUOTE (Jood @ Mar 23 2009, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for mentioning this! happy.gif Sorry you can't take advantage of it though.

My question is does anyone know if 2" ribbon will swamp their standard wedding cake? I thought it would be fine but then I realised the cakes don't look that tall.

I think the ribbion on the cake when delivered is about 1cm. I would normally be able to go and measure for you but I'm off tomorrow. I'll pop in on wednesday to check.

waddy80

waddy80

Forum Star

• Members
  • 1192 posts
Just also wanted to add, The list of stores you can collect from is wrong on the internet. If you order in store, nearly ANY store can have the cakes delivered for you to collect. And as per my conversation today, you can order in store 3 months ahead.

Guest_Jood_*

Guest_Jood_*
  • Guests
I remember when I was looking last year the standard wedding cake came in chocolate as well as sponge (I think). This year it only comes in sponge and fruit which is a bit of a shame. I really wanted a chocolate layer.

butterfly1

butterfly1

Forum Star

• Members
  • 2003 posts
I'm going to get the traditional cake (two sponge and 1 fruit) and decorate it myself with these cake separators - http://cgi.ebay.co.u...34.c0.m14.l1262

I've then got a tatty teddy cake toppper to put on the top tier. XXX

Guest_pollyanna_*

Guest_pollyanna_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (Jood @ Mar 26 2009, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember when I was looking last year the standard wedding cake came in chocolate as well as sponge (I think). This year it only comes in sponge and fruit which is a bit of a shame. I really wanted a chocolate layer.

you can buy cutting cakes in chocolate so you could still have some chocolate cake.

♥Highland Wifey♥

♥Highland Wifey♥

Planning Princess

• Members
  • 9513 posts
We are having the Traditional wedding cake. One large fruit tier and one medium sponge tier. We are also getting a fruit cutting bar for sending slices to relatives that won't be there.

We have some cake pillars, which are clear with bubbles in. We are putting silver satin ribbon around each tier, with diamante chain around the bottom of the ribbon. We also have a cake topper being made by Artlocke designs. There are pics in my planning pictures of the pillars and diamante idea.

We actually would only need one tier as we only have 16 guests, but I didn't want just one. Doesn't look like a wedding cake to me.

xx

MrsNunny

MrsNunny

Nothing tastes as good as being slim & healthy feels

• Members
  • 6494 posts
Anyone got any pictures of the sponge cakes please? Not the pics from the website, an actual pic from a real wedding? Just wanna see what the size looks like please x x

waddy80

waddy80

Forum Star

• Members
  • 1192 posts
Just another tip to add. I have just upgraded my phone, so I sold my old phone to a site called mopay. I would have got 100 cash or they pay you more in marks and spencer vouchers, I got 111 (nokia n95). That is going to pay for a big chunck of the cake! It is old style gift vouchers so I will have to order in store.

Here's the site

Mopay

waddy80

waddy80

Forum Star

• Members
  • 1192 posts
QUOTE (Jood @ Mar 23 2009, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I measured the cake on wednesday (sorry I forgot to post earlier, and I've lost the exact measurements lol), 2" ribbon will swamp it. You'd be better looking for something a bit thinner.

fergie_white

fergie_white

• Members
  • 441 posts
QUOTE (waddy80 @ Mar 28 2009, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just another tip to add. I have just upgraded my phone, so I sold my old phone to a site called mopay. I would have got 100 cash or they pay you more in marks and spencer vouchers, I got 111 (nokia n95). That is going to pay for a big chunck of the cake! It is old style gift vouchers so I will have to order in store.

Here's the site

Mopay

mmm !!!! just been on this site and i think it will pay 4 1 or 2 cake teirs lol

thanks honey x x x

waddy80

waddy80

Forum Star

• Members
  • 1192 posts
QUOTE (von @ Mar 28 2009, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mmm !!!! just been on this site and i think it will pay 4 1 or 2 cake teirs lol

thanks honey x x x

No Probs, glad to help. xx

Guest_CazNert_*

Guest_CazNert_*
  • Guests
It has been great to read all your reply's!
I am having a very small wedding with 11 guests and so I was going to buy one large sponge traditional cake from M&S and I have bought a cake topper from Ebay to put on top (Clay Bride and Groom). I will now measure how tall the cake topper will be to see if it will look ok!
I was also wondering what size ribbon to buy, so this has been good for info!

The M&S cake is 25 and I have had my local cake maker quote me 60, but now I am thinking will it be deeper??

Also my issue is we are getting married on a Wednesday, staying in our venue the night before and the Monday is a bank holiday, so trying to work out how and when we would buy it from M&S as the sponge cakes only last 5 days!!

Nat_09

Nat_09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 391 posts
Thought I would bump this rather than starting a new thread smile.gif

Was just wondering, we are getting married on a Saturday: when should I arrange to collect the cake? Is Friday too late? Thursday? Don't want to get it too early in case the sponge is a bit stale.

Also, are they easy to assemble? Did those of you who had them get your venue to do that, or did you do it yourselves?

Spuddy

Spuddy

HRH Wedding Ideas!

• Members
  • 19537 posts
QUOTE (Nat_09 @ Apr 22 2009, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was just wondering, we are getting married on a Saturday: when should I arrange to collect the cake? Is Friday too late? Thursday? Don't want to get it too early in case the sponge is a bit stale.

Also, are they easy to assemble? Did those of you who had them get your venue to do that, or did you do it yourselves?

I collected mine on the Thurs so I could check it over all ok - our venue assembled ours but we had the stackable rose cake

waddy80

waddy80

Forum Star

• Members
  • 1192 posts
QUOTE (Nat_09 @ Apr 22 2009, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm planning to get ours on the thursday and get my caterer to 'assemble' it for me. I'm currently thinking I will put it on a stand instead of pillars etc so there won't be too much fuss with assembling it. I'm going to the local cake shop tomorrow to book the cake stands that I need. I need two as we are having an unusual second cake, which I'm really excited about! See below: