Welcome to Wedding Ideas Chat
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Why do people who have Tourettes, swear?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

~S~

~S~

Wedding Guru

• Members
  • 26501 posts
blink.gif

Why not shout "Door" or "Window" - how come it's always swear words?

Just watching it on BBC3.

Must be an awful condition sad.gif

Mascara

Mascara

Wedding Whizz

• Wedding Ideas advertisers
  • 3722 posts
I've always wondered that too. But like "if the universe is expanding, what's it expanding into?", it's a question that hurts my head.

~S~

~S~

Wedding Guru

• Members
  • 26501 posts
QUOTE (Mascara @ Mar 17 2010, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've always wondered that too. But like "if the universe is expanding, what's it expanding into?", it's a question that hurts my head.

Yikes!

Spuddy

Spuddy

HRH Wedding Ideas!

• Members
  • 19537 posts
Mascara has now pickled my head

However I do know that the shouting out is one physical part of tourettes and it's to do with having the urge to shout out something inappropiate or offensive - hence why it's usually swear or racist words

See not just a drunken bum me - I did pay attention once to a serious programme

~S~

~S~

Wedding Guru

• Members
  • 26501 posts
I know I shouldn't laugh at it, but one of the blokes shouted "Filthy F art" laugh.gif What a fab saying!!

veebers

veebers

HRH Wedding Ideas!

• Monitors
  • 18884 posts
QUOTE (~Smigs~ @ Mar 17 2010, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
blink.gif

Why not shout "Door" or "Window" - how come it's always swear words?

Just watching it on BBC3.

Must be an awful condition sad.gif

no idea! It's an interesting thought though. Perhaps it's an anger thing and some words are more suited to anger....?

QUOTE (Mascara @ Mar 17 2010, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh don't get me started. We had that argument with some people in the pub the other day. That and moon landing/moon hoax?

tiny

tiny

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 3703 posts
Tourette's is a really horrid condition but actually only a small percentage of people with it shout swear words. I remember reading up on it for work... think it may be as low as 10%. xx

~S~

~S~

Wedding Guru

• Members
  • 26501 posts
QUOTE (tiny @ Mar 17 2010, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tourette's is a really horrid condition but actually only a small percentage of people with it shout swear words. I remember reading up on it for work... think it may be as low as 10%. xx

Probably the TV producers, just using the swear(y) people to get viewers then rolleyes.gif

Mascara

Mascara

Wedding Whizz

• 3722 posts
If you type the word "google" into Google, the universe will explode and the epicentre will be your computer.

*L*

*L*

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 3419 posts
I just asked Richard the same question. I feel for the young lad must be really hard to deal with at that age

~S~

~S~

Wedding Guru

• Members
  • 26501 posts
QUOTE (Mascara @ Mar 17 2010, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you type the word "google" into Google, the universe will explode and the epicentre will be your computer.

I told my MIL to "Google something" the other day and she didn't know what I meant ohmy.gif What is the world coming to? dry.gif

Spuddy

Spuddy

HRH Wedding Ideas!

• Members
  • 19537 posts
Ahem no one loves my serious answer above so I am going to answer in drunkese ... the reason is because tis more fun POOHEAD

But yes it is a very low % of people who have that part of it - I remember that from the film also

Mascara

Mascara

Wedding Whizz

• 3722 posts
I thought your answer was very interesting Spuddy, however I am currently on an 80s iTunes download marathon, therefore I have regressed to a mental age of about 14.

~S~

~S~

Wedding Guru

• Members
  • 26501 posts
QUOTE (Spuddy @ Mar 17 2010, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahem no one loves my serious answer above so I am going to answer in drunkese ... the reason is because tis more fun POOHEAD

But yes it is a very low % of people who have that part of it - I remember that from the film also

I got sidetracked by "filthy fart". It's St Patrick's Day, you should be too annihilated to even type! 'twas a very good serious answer though wink.gif

veebers

veebers

HRH Wedding Ideas!

• Monitors
  • 18884 posts
QUOTE (Spuddy @ Mar 17 2010, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i was deeply impressed! I know nothing about it!

strictlyharibo

strictlyharibo

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 2995 posts
When my uncle had a stroke he lost most of his ability to talk but he could always manage swear words?! No idea what the answer is tho!

.*Winter Queen*.

.*Winter Queen*.

HRH Wedding Ideas!

• Members
  • 11742 posts
l'm watching too, and also wondered why its just swear words!!! LOL@filthy f@rt!

2 Under 2

2 Under 2

Going to be a Mummy of 2 under 2!

• Monitors
  • 13614 posts
QUOTE (veebers @ Mar 17 2010, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As was I but more so of the fact that she can still see to type when it's 9.45 on St Paddy's Day laugh.gif

xx

veebers

veebers

HRH Wedding Ideas!

• Monitors
  • 18884 posts
QUOTE (PreggO @ Mar 17 2010, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As was I but more so of the fact that she can still see to type when it's 9.45 on St Paddy's Day laugh.gif

xx

laugh.gif

WasMissP

WasMissP

Posting Pro

• Members
  • 548 posts
I used to know someone with Tourettes, but I never had much sympathy for him, because he would use Tourettes as an excuse to swear and be rude to people. I know this because he would admit it!

Spuddy

Spuddy

HRH Wedding Ideas!

• Members
  • 19537 posts
QUOTE (Mascara @ Mar 17 2010, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought your answer was very interesting Spuddy, however I am currently on an 80s iTunes download marathon, therefore I have regressed to a mental age of about 14.

Ohhhh download Tiffany - I think that was just 80's and I still love the dance - I think we're alone now

QUOTE (~Smigs~ @ Mar 17 2010, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got sidetracked by "filthy fart". It's St Patrick's Day, you should be too annihilated to even type! 'twas a very good serious answer though wink.gif

QUOTE (veebers @ Mar 17 2010, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (PreggO @ Mar 17 2010, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

xx

Oh yea of little faith I am not celebrating this year in protest at having to work - was meant to go to bar at 9 but just opened some morgans here

Mrs Pacman

Mrs Pacman

Pacbaby upgrade in process

• Members
  • 19835 posts
Our housemate has Tourettes, but not the swearing variety, she's also said it's not that common to have the swearing variety. She has ticks where she throws her head back/to the left, her left arm flails off, and she makes this weird squeaky yelpy noise, it's hard to describe, hubs says it sounds like a dinosaur mating tongue.gif She has been known to headbutt/punch people by mistake when this happens, and regularly makes people jump when she's vocal and they didn't know she does it!

NorthEastWeddingDJ

NorthEastWeddingDJ

Posting Pro

• Members
  • 953 posts
f*%k knows

Sorry - just couldnt resist

Guest_Jelly Tot_*

Guest_Jelly Tot_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (NorthEastWeddingDJ @ Mar 17 2010, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
f*%k knows

Sorry - just couldnt resist

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif This is my knd of humour biggrin.gif

mrs_gilbey_2b

mrs_gilbey_2b

Forum Star

• Members
  • 1154 posts
Maybe its like a regression into words we know we shouldn't be saying? Like people who lose some of their brain functions can regress to child behaviour.

Mrs Pitter Patter

Mrs Pitter Patter

HRH Wedding Ideas!

• Members
  • 13074 posts
could it be the frustration of the tics so the frustration comes out as a swear word also? Like when i'm peed off or frustrated i tend to swear. Well actually i swear like a trooper anyway but i'm just a potty mouth!