Welcome to Wedding Ideas Chat
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Ladies who Bake

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1225 replies to this topic

Tai

Tai

Cupcake Queen

• Members
  • 16339 posts
I just thought we could use this as a thread to ask all our questions and showcase cakes etc.

My next project was going to be an Xbox controller cake. However I have no idea when my surgery date will be so just in case Im going with something more simple.

Im going to do a giant malteser cupcake and then some hi-hat cupcakes with maltesers.

I will need a practice run as I want to make sure flavours are right so it looks like my brothers will be having a lovely surprise next week lol!

Tai

ETA

This is my cake photo album.
P.s I'll bookmark on my computer so we dont lose the thread x

Edited by Hoggle, 01 February 2011 - 02:46 PM.

jojo62900

jojo62900

Planning Princess

• Members
  • 8939 posts
i'm currently planning a cake for our anniversary this month, seeing as we have no cash to splash!

XxX

♥ Mrs Mack ♥

♥ Mrs Mack ♥

Master Planner

• Members
  • 5876 posts
i'm doing my sons toy story cake next week i actually just posted about it Posted Image

Tai

Tai

Cupcake Queen

• Members
  • 16339 posts

i'm doing my sons toy story cake next week i actually just posted about it Posted Image

Thats why I thought to add the thread lol! It seems the last few days there has been post after post and it only seems sensible!

MrsRooney

MrsRooney

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 4735 posts
I will be attempting to make red devils food cake, then if it taste ok try my hand at cake pops from that site you posted the other day Tai. Im having a birthday party in aprill and would love a desert bar but as im a bit skint im intend on making everything for it. I am also makeing some profitarolls that will be frozen to be filled for said party later on.

leannemarie

leannemarie

Posting Pro

• Members
  • 833 posts
Can i join this thread?
Im attempting a cake that will be decorated like a massive cupcake for my sisters birthday on saturday. I have an album on facebook of my recent baking too. I just love baking and im glad theres others out there who do too!

Tai

Tai

Cupcake Queen

• Members
  • 16339 posts

I will be attempting to make red devils food cake, then if it taste ok try my hand at cake pops from that site you posted the other day Tai. Im having a birthday party in aprill and would love a desert bar but as im a bit skint im intend on making everything for it. I am also makeing some profitarolls that will be frozen to be filled for said party later on.

Cake pops are very very easy. Buy some sticks, a box of cheap choc cake, choc frosting and cooking chocolate.
Make up the cake and leave to cool.
Melt chocolate.
When cool crumble.
Add frosting slowly until its mouldable.
Roll into balls
Dip sticks into chocolate, pop into base of a ball and allow to set. (doing this adheres the cake to the stick. If you dont do it they are likely to just slip down the stick when you cover them)
Then dip and twist the stick allowing excess to drip off.
Leave to set.

You will need some polystyrene to pop them in to set for upright lollies or if I havent got any I put them lolly down on cling film and serve stick up on a plate. I tried a box my first time and had to stuff it with bags so the sticks didnt slip! was such a pain. Oh and the balls should be pretty small or they will be too heavy and slip down the sick!

This was my very first attempt!
Posted Image

Bennic

Bennic

HRH Wedding Ideas!

• Members
  • 15571 posts
I love baking :) Haven't done any since Christmas though. I did make chocolate mousse this weekend just gone though, it was soooo good.

ToriaEmily

ToriaEmily

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 2770 posts
I love baking, at my last job they used to pay me to make the birthday cakes :) i dont get to do too much now tho as h2b cant eat them all and he gets sick of looking at cakes after a while..

note to self must find cake eating guinea pigs :D

Mrs.SH

Mrs.SH

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 2647 posts

I just thought we could use this as a thread to ask all our questions and showcase cakes etc.

My next project was going to be an Xbox controller cake. However I have no idea when my surgery date will be so just in case Im going with something more simple.

Im going to do a giant malteser cupcake and then some hi-hat cupcakes with maltesers.

I will need a practice run as I want to make sure flavours are right so it looks like my brothers will be having a lovely surprise next week lol!

Tai

ETA

love your cakes, my boys would love the dark multi coloured ones

WasMissP

WasMissP

Posting Pro

• Members
  • 548 posts
I'm a comfort baker, instead of a showcase baker

But I can fully recommend Nigella Lawson's Guinness Gingerbread and her devil's food cake cake. If you make that one, I'd suggest swapping the dark chocolate for milk chocolate for the icing. I like dark chocolate, but the icing was too bitter for me and the H2B

Cakeylady

Cakeylady

HRH Wedding Ideas!

• Members
  • 14892 posts
I think I'm making a wedding cake for my next-door-but-one neighbours. Just need them to come and tell me what they want and how many people so I can get practising!!

Mrs Pacman

Mrs Pacman

Pacbaby upgrade in process

• Members
  • 19835 posts

I'm a comfort baker, instead of a showcase baker

But I can fully recommend Nigella Lawson's Guinness Gingerbread and her devil's food cake cake. If you make that one, I'd suggest swapping the dark chocolate for milk chocolate for the icing. I like dark chocolate, but the icing was too bitter for me and the H2B

I like that description, thats me in a nutshell! They may not look pretty when I've finished but they'll taste bloody good :lol:

13032009x

13032009x

• Members
  • 24 posts
Can anybody join this thread??

i love baking:D i made a massive cupcake last weekend and it turned out lovely.. was first time making a different cake.
Usually i just make little cupcakes and round simple cakes hehe.. might try to make a different cake sometime soon, hmmm:/ lol
I decided i wanted to make my own wedding cake a 4 tier one:D need to get loads of practice doing them though lol.

xxx

♥Highland Wifey♥

♥Highland Wifey♥

Planning Princess

• Members
  • 9513 posts
Hi Ladies

I love baking too! (problem is I like eating the stuff as much as I like making it).

I bake something most weeks. This month has been a giant chocolate cupcake for hubbys birthday, strawberry and vanilla whoopie pies and I will be doing a giant lemon cupcake for my dads birthday this week.

I have also baked two lots of dog biscuits (one lot cheese & Ham, one lot banana). It lets me bake, but it's not something I will eat....the dog doesn't complain either!

I'm sure people are getting fed up of photos of my weekly creations on facebook, but I don't care! :lol:

xx

Tai

Tai

Cupcake Queen

• Members
  • 16339 posts

Can anybody join this thread??

i love baking:D i made a massive cupcake last weekend and it turned out lovely.. was first time making a different cake.
Usually i just make little cupcakes and round simple cakes hehe.. might try to make a different cake sometime soon, hmmm:/ lol
I decided i wanted to make my own wedding cake a 4 tier one:D need to get loads of practice doing them though lol.

xxx

Yep anyone can join in! I know here are a few ladies on here and this is just a thread where we can all post!

♥Highland Wifey♥

♥Highland Wifey♥

Planning Princess

• Members
  • 9513 posts
Here is a link to my photos incase anyone is interested. (Hopefully it works!)

Photos

Can you let me know if this allows you to see any of my other albums on facebook or just the baking one?

Thanks

Edited by ♥Highland Wifey♥, 01 February 2011 - 04:27 PM.

13032009x

13032009x

• Members
  • 24 posts
Awwh thats good then hehe:)) On friday i am going to make loads of different things then take some down on to my H2B :))
He loves them, always eats most of them when he down mine hehe... bless him.

What soort cakes do you all make??

xxx

Mrs.SH

Mrs.SH

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 2647 posts

Photos

Can you let me know if this allows you to see any of my other albums on facebook or just the baking one?

Thanks

clicked photos at the top and its says you haven't created any other albums, only your baking is visible

♥Highland Wifey♥

♥Highland Wifey♥

Planning Princess

• Members
  • 9513 posts

clicked photos at the top and its says you haven't created any other albums, only your baking is visible

Thanks hun. I haven't linked to a facebook album before, so wasn't sure if I had done it right.

Tai

Tai

Cupcake Queen

• Members
  • 16339 posts

Awwh thats good then hehe:)) On friday i am going to make loads of different things then take some down on to my H2B :))
He loves them, always eats most of them when he down mine hehe... bless him.

What soort cakes do you all make??

xxx

Birthday cakes, cupcakes and any biscuit recipe that takes my fancy. I started for my littlens 1st birthday and seem to do all friends and family birthdays (they buy the ingredients and I make).

Mrs Neen

Mrs Neen

Master Planner

• Members
  • 5041 posts

Tai

ETA

Great thread idea! loving your cakes!

I think I'm making a wedding cake for my next-door-but-one neighbours. Just need them to come and tell me what they want and how many people so I can get practising!!

Alex hows the cake decorating course going?

Photos

Thanks

your cakes look fab, i love your giant cupcake!

I LURVE baking, my dream would be to open a tearoom/cake shop.....maybe next year when i've finished my home study college course.

here's a link to my cakes (hopefully it will work) Cakies

Snazzy

Snazzy

Forum Star

• Members
  • 1314 posts
Here is a pic of a halloween cake I made. Warning though pic opens quite wide!

Attached Thumbnails

• phone pics 2 320.JPG

Edited by Carysamo, 01 February 2011 - 06:31 PM.

Mrs SammieB

Mrs SammieB

Master Planner

• Members
  • 5586 posts
I love baking and am about to do a course on cake decorating, as i love it.

My latest attempt is my neices birthday cake, went for the classic barbie dress cake.
x

Attached Thumbnails

• 168636_491558137050_511077050_6695725_1664309_n.jpg

FutureMrsGav

FutureMrsGav

Forum Star

• Members
  • 2274 posts
Awh well done Tai, fab thread.

Here is a link to some of my earlier days as a 'cake decorator' but they're probably not the best examples. Once the novelty wore off I stopped taking photos :lol:

x

Edited by FutureMrsGav, 02 February 2011 - 06:51 PM.

Snazzy

Snazzy

Forum Star

• Members
  • 1314 posts
Here is another sorry if the upload is big! xxx

Attached Thumbnails

• Birthday cake.jpg

*♥*tipsy*♥*

*♥*tipsy*♥*

Master Planner

• Members
  • 7313 posts
I enjoy making cupcakes, so far ive made them for my eldests birthday and for my friends little lads birthday who had mini cupcakes, im looking forward to experimenting with different flavours, might make some lemon ones and raspberry and white chocolate ones for playgroup next week. I often make chocolate brownies which hubby cant get enough of and i made christmas cakes for a few people this year and last year.

Also want to try some woopie cakes and the cake pops which i might make for our weekend away in april for hubby and a mates birthday along with a giant cupcake

link to my facebook for pics of cakes

Edited by *♥*tipsy*♥*, 01 February 2011 - 07:17 PM.

Sprinkles

Sprinkles

Posting Pro

• Members
  • 963 posts
edited

Edited by partylady, 16 February 2011 - 04:13 PM.

Snazzy

Snazzy

Forum Star

• Members
  • 1314 posts
Well done tipsy, they look yummy!

MandaPanda

MandaPanda

HRH Wedding Ideas!

• Monitors
  • 10489 posts
Love all the cakes!

Tai - where do you buy the sticks from for cake pops, and how many do you get out of one box of cake mix? (would you say?)

Tai

Tai

Cupcake Queen

• Members
  • 16339 posts

Love all the cakes!

Tai - where do you buy the sticks from for cake pops, and how many do you get out of one box of cake mix? (would you say?)

I buy them from this seller on ebay. Out of a box I use about 30 sticks maybe a few more. I usually do a mixture of lollies and just choc coated balls so thats a rough idea x

Hannah & Mike

Hannah & Mike

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 3237 posts
Love baking too. Got some great cookbooks for making cookies, cupcakes, cakes & muffins from my bridesmaid for my birthday & christmas. Can't decide what to start with :lol: gonna wait until we have moved & settled into our new house

My Baking Pictures 1

My Baking Pictures 2

My Baking Pictures 3

n593050617_5207463_5759.jpg

My Baking Pictures 4

Edited by Hannah & Mike, 01 February 2011 - 10:48 PM.

♥ Mrs Mack ♥

♥ Mrs Mack ♥

Master Planner

• Members
  • 5876 posts
i'll have to put together a album of cakes i've done Posted Image i did my cupcake tower for my wedding although all the frosting melted as the photographer drove them to the venue but put the box on the seat above his cars engine Posted Image
i always do cupcakes and buscuits heres some pics of a couple ...
teddy bear cake , pure chocolate cake , coconut cake , another chocolate cake ,

i've also done a big racing track cake using liquorice paint and toy cars & a barbie doll cake which i havent got pics of Posted Image but i've got pics of a pink and white chocolate spotty cake and a stig cake which i'll add soon x

Demon Diva

Demon Diva

Master Planner

• Members
  • 6376 posts
i've just bought a book entitled "Kinky Cupcakes" :lol: http://www.amazon.co...w/dp/1846013615 Now all I have to do is learn to make all the decorations!

FutureMrsGav

FutureMrsGav

Forum Star

• Members
  • 2274 posts
Loving all our photos girls! We're fab!

Xx

**tinkerbell**

**tinkerbell**

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 4072 posts

Alex hows the cake decorating course going?

I love baking and am about to do a course on cake decorating, as i love it.

i would LOVE to do this!

i'm still getting the hang of making things look good as well as taste good :lol: it all tends to turn out a bit misshapen! this was my christmas baking - cake, mince pies, fruit cupcakes, apricot and pecan slice, truffles, gingerbread, and chocolate hazelnut cookies.

i've seen a picture of a monopoly board cake that i really really want to do, i think it'll be for hubby's 30th in 3 years when i've got better at it :rolleyes:

Snazzy

Snazzy

Forum Star

• Members
  • 1314 posts
Everyone has fab pictures, keep them coming. I need help with icing i am useless at it, mine always seems to crack, also when storing a large or high cake how are you meant to do this if you have made the day before without the icing from drying out?

♥Highland Wifey♥

♥Highland Wifey♥

Planning Princess

• Members
  • 9513 posts

Everyone has fab pictures, keep them coming. I need help with icing i am useless at it, mine always seems to crack, also when storing a large or high cake how are you meant to do this if you have made the day before without the icing from drying out?

Not sure if you are asking how to store the icing or large cakes.

I have different plastic containers for storing un-iced cakes. I really struggled to get something to fit the giant cupcake. I eneded up with a tall storage container from Morrisons. The lid doesn't seal very well though, so I usually put a heavy book on top to keep it shut. Still on the lok out for something better.

xx

Edited by ♥Highland Wifey♥, 02 February 2011 - 12:57 PM.

♥Highland Wifey♥

♥Highland Wifey♥

Planning Princess

• Members
  • 9513 posts
I would love to do a course too, but no-one up here runs any :( The closest is Perth, which is 2.5/3hrs away and they are REALLy expensive.

I am waiting to see if a company that came up from Milton Keynes to Aberdeen-shire will be coming back again this year. They just did cupcake decorating last time I think, but are hoping to do other ones too. Still a couple of hours from me though, so will only really be able to do one class. Their prices are good though.

xx

Tai

Tai

Cupcake Queen

• Members
  • 16339 posts

I generally use a cardboard box for keeping fresh till the next day. What ever you do dont cover in clingfilm. It makes the icing sweat and go sticky Posted Image