Welcome to Wedding Ideas Chat
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Getting married abroad?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

LouiseMay2012

LouiseMay2012

• Members
  • 248 posts
I am getting married in South Africa in May. I did originally think I would get married in the UK but as time goes on the SA option is working out for the best. I was just wondering if anyone else is getting married abroad and how you are finding planning a wedding in another country?

MrslaneyB

MrslaneyB

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 2545 posts
Hey Louise!

When we got engaged we looked into getting married at home and when we priced it up, we decided that we didn't want to spend so much just on one day, we both wanted a really nice holiday/honeymoon so decided to get married abroad. Then we had endless discussions on where to go! :lol: Eventually decided on Sri Lanka as there is so much to do and see. We just researched online about where to go and found the most amazing hotel which was just what we were looking for and they had various wedding packages. We then called up the big holiday companies, Trailfinders (who were fab) but can't organise weddings, Kuoni who were mega expensive, then Hayes & Jarvis who were great, really listened to what we wanted and gave us a good price so we ended up going with them.

They sent us out confirmation of our booking and information about the wedding package. They said the wedding planner will be in touch approx. 6 months before to arrange further details.

Once we get there we can decide which setting to get married at, the gardens, the beach or the yoga pavillion!

Who did you book with? Not long until your big day at all. SA will be fab! Never been but it's on my list!

Elaine

xXx

futureMrsL

futureMrsL

• Members
  • 148 posts
Hi ladies
Well initially having booked (and paid hefty deposit) on a uk wedding, we decided to cut our losses and get married abroad...
So we are getting married in Cuba in December, we fly for two weeks 1st dec but I've got to wait to hear back back from resort for them to confirm which 'actual' day we are getting married on. This can take up to another 4weeks from now... Excited tho and we have gone for a wedding package thru Thomson because my friend is the manager at a local branch
I'm getting married at the paradisus rio de oro spa resort guardalavaca if you want to nose at the wedding gazebo it's gorgeous,
Which hotels/venues have you gone for?
Do either of you have a dress? And how many is travelling with you, if any?
There's just going to be 6 guests at ours and to be honest I like it that way :-) no stress and big party when we come home.
I'm wearing a 'proper' bridal dress if that makes sense ( not a beachy one) but that's just personal choice and partly because I have already bought it for our initial uk wedding
Xx

MrslaneyB

MrslaneyB

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 2545 posts
Hello FutureMrsL

Cuba is also on my list of places to go, tried to fly over when I was in Jamaica but the date of coming back overlapped with my flight back to the UK! Gutted! Anyway back to weddings!
I'm getting married and staying at this hotel here.
I picked a normal bridal dress too, here. The model is wearing a hoop so the skirt won't be as big as that! :lol: Don't know how I will get it to Sri Lanka though! There are 5 definitely coming, a few more are looking into it.

I'm away to have a look at your hotel, it's so exciting! xxx

MrslaneyB

MrslaneyB

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 2545 posts
Just had a look at your hotel, wow! The turquoise sea makes me want to jump in right now, the gazebo is beautiful overlooking the water. There are so many restaurants to eat in, you will be spoilt for choice. xxx

LouiseMay2012

LouiseMay2012

• Members
  • 248 posts
South Africa was the obvious choice as I am originally from there. My parents are still there so my mum is doing all the planning and bookings etc which is great because she is much more organised than I am! All I have to do, once I have arrived 2 weeks before the wedding is go and see all the people she's booked (florist, hairdresser, photographer etc) to confirm what I want. The things I have planned from here are the honeymoon in SA, the hiring of suits in SA and the videographer. I am also getting my dress and the bridesmaids dresses in the UK.

We have got 5 people (bridal party) flying with us to SA and other friends and family are flying out as well but we will end up with about 70 guests at the wedding as a lot of my friends and family live in SA. And we will be having a big party when we get back for UK friends and family.

I have chosen a sheath dress with a train but just because I liked the style best. The dress maker assures me though that it can be packed in such a way that it won't arrive all creased. A lot of airlines are very accommodating too and allow brides to hang their dress up during the flight. You will have to speak to your airline though.

All very exciting and I am counting the days! x x

futureMrsL

futureMrsL

• Members
  • 148 posts

1326930267[/url]' post='1062511824']
South Africa was the obvious choice as I am originally from there. My parents are still there so my mum is doing all the planning and bookings etc which is great because she is much more organised than I am! All I have to do, once I have arrived 2 weeks before the wedding is go and see all the people she's booked (florist, hairdresser, photographer etc) to confirm what I want. The things I have planned from here are the honeymoon in SA, the hiring of suits in SA and the videographer. I am also getting my dress and the bridesmaids dresses in the UK.

We have got 5 people (bridal party) flying with us to SA and other friends and family are flying out as well but we will end up with about 70 guests at the wedding as a lot of my friends and family live in SA. And we will be having a big party when we get back for UK friends and family.

I have chosen a sheath dress with a train but just because I liked the style best. The dress maker assures me though that it can be packed in such a way that it won't arrive all creased. A lot of airlines are very accommodating too and allow brides to hang their dress up during the flight. You will have to speak to your airline though.

All very exciting and I am counting the days! x x

Ann this sounds amazing especially to be going home to be wed! I'd love to go to sa, my h2b has been and absolutely loves it! I'm flying with thomson airways which actually sell wedding dress carriage boxes which you keep with you as hand luggage so I'm sure your right about other airlines doing something similar...ah ain't sunshine weddings great lol x x

futureMrsL

futureMrsL

• Members
  • 148 posts

1326888734[/url]' post='1062511252']
Hello FutureMrsL

Cuba is also on my list of places to go, tried to fly over when I was in Jamaica but the date of coming back overlapped with my flight back to the UK! Gutted! Anyway back to weddings!
I'm getting married and staying at this hotel here.
I picked a normal bridal dress too, here. The model is wearing a hoop so the skirt won't be as big as that! :lol: Don't know how I will get it to Sri Lanka though! There are 5 definitely coming, a few more are looking into it.

I'm away to have a look at your hotel, it's so exciting! xxx

Ah wow your hotel is amaze balls! Would love to go there! And your dress is stunning!!! Eeee how exciting!!!
I've been to Cuba before and loved it so I'm confident we are going to have a fab wedding....
My dress is trudy lee style 57911 from the 2011 collection if you wish to take a peek it really suits me I love it!
Xx

LouiseMay2012

LouiseMay2012

• Members
  • 248 posts
Both your dresses are lovely. I see what you mean about it being a 'proper' wedding dress as opposed to a beach one. Having problems uploading a picture of mine as I really want to show it off. At the same time it is a top secret among most people I know and only the bridesmaids and my mum have seen it. I want to 'wow' everyone on the day. I also know most people are expecting me to wear Regency style gown (as I am a huge Jane Austen fan) so am looking forward to surprising them.

futureMrsL

futureMrsL

• Members
  • 148 posts

1327014727[/url]' post='1062512613']
Both your dresses are lovely. I see what you mean about it being a 'proper' wedding dress as opposed to a beach one. Having problems uploading a picture of mine as I really want to show it off. At the same time it is a top secret among most people I know and only the bridesmaids and my mum have seen it. I want to 'wow' everyone on the day. I also know most people are expecting me to wear Regency style gown (as I am a huge Jane Austen fan) so am looking forward to surprising them.

Ah wud love to see it Hun but totally understand!
Has anyone thought about changing into a lighter dress for the evening?? I'm thinking about wearing something shorter in ivory or cream and preserving my dress after the ceremony for our UK evening reception when we return home xc

LouiseMay2012

LouiseMay2012

• Members
  • 248 posts
Not changing as I want to keep my dress on for as long as possible. Though getting married in South Africa it's not on a beach and won't be super hot as it will be going into their winter so dress dress won't feel too hot and will be preserved. I will be having a going away dress though. That reminds me - must get that sorted!

LouiseMay2012

LouiseMay2012

• Members
  • 248 posts
Ok, here goes. One last attempt at picture of my dress. Even though it's top secret as far as my H2B and guests are concerned I know I can trust none of you to tell!
Posted Image

futureMrsL

futureMrsL

• Members
  • 148 posts

1327426355[/url]' post='1062515667']
Ok, here goes. One last attempt at picture of my dress. Even though it's top secret as far as my H2B and guests are concerned I know I can trust none of you to tell!
Posted Image

Aww that is gorgeous!!! Xc

MrslaneyB

MrslaneyB

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 2545 posts
Aww, beautiful dress Louise! x

Allana

Allana

Posting Pro

• Members
  • 852 posts
Hellooooooo Ladies :D Can i Join you in the Abroad group !!

Your dresses and Hotels are stunning!

After putting depostis on nearly everything, we finally realised we were never going to be able to pay for it all, and the stress was too much so..............

THAILAND here we come haaa haa same day lovely hotel, immediate family guests, and maybe both sets of best friends, but i think it will be better like this and be more relaxed!!!

Booked holiday with Thompson Tailormade - but only cos Hayes and Jarvis site was down - and they are both part of TUI, Wedding booked with hotel
Legal registration booked over here the day we fly out
Rings bought
Hotel does the rest....
Just literally my dress to get!!!!!

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy and sooooooooooooooo releived, I can finally be excited about the wedding!!!! B)

MrslaneyB

MrslaneyB

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 2545 posts
Hi Allana!

Where in Thailand are you getting married? Your plans sound fab. My BIL & SIL got married in Koh Samui a few years ago, just after h2b and I met, they loved it and their pics were amazing! x

Allana

Allana

Posting Pro

• Members
  • 852 posts
Kata Beach in Phuket, we have both been before a few years ago and loved it :wub: so excited

although got to say the registry lady did sound suspicious of me getting excited on the phone booking a 43.50 wedding for 09:30am on a monday morning!!!! haaa haa

futureMrsL

futureMrsL

• Members
  • 148 posts
Welcome allana!! How exciting Thailand!!! My other half loves it there!
I've just had confirmation from resort that my wedding is going to be thur 6 dec....
However,
Also in more recent/very exciting news I've just found out I'm almost 6wks pregnant!! Telling my family next weekend.. Then it'll be all the decisions to follow do we/don't we take a two month old to Cuba for our wedding or do we try to amend it to next feb/march but either way ill be going with an infant!! Omg!!!nits crazy how much your life can change in a minute!! Soooo hope my dress still fits lol xx

Allana

Allana

Posting Pro

• Members
  • 852 posts
Also in more recent/very exciting news I've just found out I'm almost 6wks pregnant!! Telling my family next weekend.. Then it'll be all the decisions to follow do we/don't we take a two month old to Cuba for our wedding or do we try to amend it to next feb/march but either way ill be going with an infant!! Omg!!!nits crazy how much your life can change in a minute!! Soooo hope my dress still fits lol xx
[/quote]

Oh My Gosh - HOW EXCITING!!!!!! Crazy how something so small can change your life forever!!! :D

MrslaneyB

MrslaneyB

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 2545 posts
Oh congratulations!!! That's fab news. Exciting times ahead! xxx

LouiseMay2012

LouiseMay2012

• Members
  • 248 posts
[quote name='futureMrsL' timestamp='1328277355' post='1062522246']
Welcome allana!! How exciting Thailand!!! My other half loves it there!
I've just had confirmation from resort that my wedding is going to be thur 6 dec....
However,
[/quote

Congratulations! Such exciting news.

LouiseMay2012

LouiseMay2012

• Members
  • 248 posts

Hellooooooo Ladies :D Can i Join you in the Abroad group !!

Your dresses and Hotels are stunning!

After putting depostis on nearly everything, we finally realised we were never going to be able to pay for it all, and the stress was too much so..............

THAILAND here we come haaa haa same day lovely hotel, immediate family guests, and maybe both sets of best friends, but i think it will be better like this and be more relaxed!!!

Booked holiday with Thompson Tailormade - but only cos Hayes and Jarvis site was down - and they are both part of TUI, Wedding booked with hotel
Legal registration booked over here the day we fly out
Rings bought
Hotel does the rest....
Just literally my dress to get!!!!!

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy and sooooooooooooooo releived, I can finally be excited about the wedding!!!! B)

Thailand! That sounds amazing! So great that your family will be able to join you there as well

futureMrsL

futureMrsL

• Members
  • 148 posts
Just read replies! Thanks ladies... How are the wedding abroad plans going?? Anything else sorted? Don't know if I've already asked but are you holding uk receptions/parties after you return home?? I'm thinking of Incorporating a little bit of the caribean into our uk evening reception but don't know how yet! Lol x

MrslaneyB

MrslaneyB

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 2545 posts
Hi ladies. I haven't got anything else sorted, waiting for my dress to come in then I'll get my accessories. Really need to get organised and start looking for BM dresses! We are not having a UK reception due to cost but will probably have a meal out with our close family & friends when we return. xxx

LouiseMay2012

LouiseMay2012

• Members
  • 248 posts
Just about everything for the SA wedding is sorted. We are definitely having a celebration in the UK for our friends and family here when we get back. Don't think it will have a theme - just a great evening with people we love.

Allana

Allana

Posting Pro

• Members
  • 852 posts
We paid 50% deposit for the Hog roast we were having, so have just moved the date and location and it is now the food for the party when we are back, But we are not doing anything big, Just saturday night at the Rugby club with food, and prob get a DJ too :)

futureMrsL

futureMrsL

• Members
  • 148 posts
Mmm hog roast... That's an option for us at the rugby club where we are having our uk celebration...
I don't want a full on theme just maybe something in the food or slight deco in relation to Cuba? I don't know I'll think of summit lol
X

Gemma16

Gemma16

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 4642 posts
*sneaks in*

Hi destination brides!

Hope you don't mind me popping my head in?! Just wanted to say a couple of things that might help one or two of you with regards your dresses, hope that's ok :unsure:

I had a normal wedding dress too, and wore a hoop underneath at the recommendation of my bridal shop and I have to admit it was the right thing to do! Had I not wore one I think the underlayers of the skirt would have stuck a bit to my legs, but with the hoop the material was kept away from my legs and I had 'shade' over my legs so I didn't feel as hot as I thought I would.

Also, I had mine packed into a dress box from the empty box company (online) to take on the flight, but it's not necessary to do this (can be quite expensive unless you want to keep your dress in the box afterwards). You can pack them into cabin sized suitcases (especially if you do want to check them as baggage). You'll be surprised how small they can fold up into! You might also be able to ask your dress shop to pack your dress for you; mine charge 10 but they steamed it before packing as well. Once there, I took my dress straight out and steamed it in the shower room to get rid of the few creases, which worked fine.

Anyway, I hope that helps someone!

*tip toes out again*

xx

MrslaneyB

MrslaneyB

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 2545 posts
Awww thanks Gemma, they are good tips! I was wondering what to do with my dress, my dress has quite a full skirt on it so I don't think I need a hoop but I'll decide when my dress comes in, hopefully end of this month! Where did you get married? xxx

Allana

Allana

Posting Pro

• Members
  • 852 posts
Thanks gemma - Sounds like agood idea, as the dress sticking to me sounds horrid!!!

On another note, GOT MY BRIDESMAIDS dresses sorted!!!!! :D
I have one who is 6 and one who is 12, (but wears size 10/12 in adult as she is 5ft 6 already!)

Both Monsoon

Younger one is the "Bridget" dress in Ivory and older one is the "Amrit" dress in Duck Egg blue :D

LOVE LOVE LOVE them :wub:

Sorry dont know how to do attachments or links - am rubbish!!!!

Gemma16

Gemma16

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 4642 posts

Awww thanks Gemma, they are good tips! I was wondering what to do with my dress, my dress has quite a full skirt on it so I don't think I need a hoop but I'll decide when my dress comes in, hopefully end of this month! Where did you get married? xxx

No problem, always nice to help :D

We got married at the 9muses hotel (outside their chaple) in Skala Kefalonia. Can't believe it's 4 years ago this July! :o

xx

xblonde87x

xblonde87x

• Members
  • 39 posts
FutureMrsL where abouts are you staying in Cuba? I go Oct 10th to Sol Luna & Mares, getting married in the gazebo on 17th October! Well excited! My bridesmaid is heavily pregnant atm, baby due end next month so will be 6 months old when we go and then will her dress fit?!

My dress is similar to yours LouiseMay2012. Its stunning!!

We have booked our venue for the reception when we come home, thinking fuschia pink & black ostrich feathers in tall vases and I have chosen a proper wedding cake for it too! Like having 2 weddings lol

x

LouiseMay2012

LouiseMay2012

• Members
  • 248 posts
Thanks for the advice with regards to packing the dress Gemma. I do want to take it as hand luggage as I don't want to let it out of my sight for a moment! I will ask the shop the best way to pack it and hopefully they will do it for me.

Gemma16

Gemma16

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 4642 posts

Thanks for the advice with regards to packing the dress Gemma. I do want to take it as hand luggage as I don't want to let it out of my sight for a moment! I will ask the shop the best way to pack it and hopefully they will do it for me.

The boxes come in differnet sizes and you can get them small enough to carry in the cabin, which is what I did ... I was clutching onto it for hours, lol :lol: Check your airlines cabin bag size and perhaps go from there

xx

Gemma16

Gemma16

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 4642 posts

FutureMrsL where abouts are you staying in Cuba? I go Oct 10th to Sol Luna & Mares, getting married in the gazebo on 17th October! Well excited! My bridesmaid is heavily pregnant atm, baby due end next month so will be 6 months old when we go and then will her dress fit?!My dress is similar to yours LouiseMay2012. Its stunning!!

We have booked our venue for the reception when we come home, thinking fuschia pink & black ostrich feathers in tall vases and I have chosen a proper wedding cake for it too! Like having 2 weddings lol

x

I presume you have her dress already?! Speak to her if you're worred, but make sure she doesn't feel pressuered into slimming back down to get in it (I'm sure you wont ;) ). can you find out about alterations or perhaps consider a late order if it's not been sorted already.

xx

Gemma16

Gemma16

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 4642 posts

FutureMrsL where abouts are you staying in Cuba? I go Oct 10th to Sol Luna & Mares, getting married in the gazebo on 17th October! Well excited! My bridesmaid is heavily pregnant atm, baby due end next month so will be 6 months old when we go and then will her dress fit?!My dress is similar to yours LouiseMay2012. Its stunning!!

x

I presume you have her dress already?! Speak to her if you're worred, but make sure she doesn't feel pressuered into slimming back down to get in it (I'm sure you wont ;) ). can you find out about alterations or perhaps consider a late order if it's not been sorted already.

xx

xblonde87x

xblonde87x

• Members
  • 39 posts

xx

Hi

Yes we have the dress already and its a size bigger than her pre pregnancy and it fitted her when she was around 4 months pregnant. From having my daughter (who is now 2) I remember that I was a good size bigger than normal still after 6 months and if I'm honest I haven't gone back to normal and that is what I told my BM. I have told her that if the dress needs be altered then I don't mind sorting that out. As long as she is by my side I don't care how fat or thin she is and when you've got a young baby losing weight isn't easy as most of us have found out! Lol

:)

futureMrsL

futureMrsL

• Members
  • 148 posts

FutureMrsL where abouts are you staying in Cuba? I go Oct 10th to Sol Luna & Mares, getting married in the gazebo on 17th October! Well excited! My bridesmaid is heavily pregnant atm, baby due end next month so will be 6 months old when we go and then will her dress fit?!

My dress is similar to yours LouiseMay2012. Its stunning!!

x

futureMrsL

futureMrsL

• Members
  • 148 posts
I'm getting married at the paradisus rio de oro resort and spa hun! On the 6th dec... Can't wait you will hav to let us know how yours goes! X

xblonde87x

xblonde87x

• Members
  • 39 posts
Yes I will. My wedding was 6 months yesterday. I have got an exam do for work beginning May then Im onto a strict diet to drop a dress size and shed them wobbly bits before I hit the beach!! Lol x x