Welcome to Wedding Ideas Chat
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Did you get married on a budget?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

lucydimbylow

lucydimbylow

• Members
  • 41 posts
Hi ladies,

I'm working on a feature for Wedding Ideas about getting married on a budget, and am looking for recent brides to share how they saved money on their weddings. I'm particularly keen to speak to newlyweds who saved by...

- Getting married midweek or off season
- Having a small and intimate wedding
- Getting married abroad
- Having financial help from their parents or other relatives
- Had a 'hand made' wedding
- Chose an inexpensive venue (e.g. a village hall, pub function room, council-owned property)

If you fit into one of these categories, or indeed saved money in any other brilliant way, I'd love to hear from you. Please drop me a line at lucy.dimbylow@virginmedia.com with a wedding photo and a brief outline of your day, and I'll get back to you asap.

Many thanks,

Lucy
Freelance writer

rockincaz

rockincaz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Who are you?:bride
  • Wedding Day:06-02-2013
Hi Lucy,

I'm still in the planning stages as yet but I'm on a budget for sure. It's going to be a small, intimate, family and close friends "do". Tasteful though, not cheap 'n' cheerful.

Firstly, I'm making my own dress. I've been a dressmaker for much of my life. I used to do it professionally and made my own dress and veil the first time round over 30 years ago.

I don't like the current trends in bridal gowns, (especially the prices!) Strapless is not for me and I hate anything asymmetrical, one shoulder designs, corseted, laced up the back, all that sort of thing. The thing I find particularly distasteful is that the majority of brides who choose to wear the corseted, strapless styles are far too fat and look ridiculous in them. Brides have always got time to lose weight before their big day but I fear that fat is a fashion statement these days.

So my dress is a little vintage number, the style much more suited to my age. I've got all the beading and sequins to do, so it's not just your average "Ah bless, you can tell she's made it herself." It's going to be pretty special.

So far my complete outfit, including the shoes which I've already bought, my fabulous undergarments and hosiery, again which I've already bought, and my head-wear for which I have the materials and I'm making myself, come to less than £300. I shall make my matron of honour's dress too if she can't find anything that ties in with my theme.

Most of it was from e-bay, and I'm not talking "used" items, it's all new. It's a great place for finding bargains, so much so that you could call this an e-budget wedding!

I shall also make my own stationery and favours. Our wedding is probably not going to be on a Saturday as there is always a premium for that day, it's also unlikely to be in the summer, and for that reason I'm looking at venues where we can keep it all under one roof, ceremony and all.You pay extra for the registrar but some of our guests are quite elderly and I'm more concerned with their comfort if the weather should be inclement. I've got 3 good friends who are photographers, so I'm hoping to make a saving there too.

The money saved can then be spent on our guests with excellent food and wine, and some good live entertainment rather than a boring disco and flashing lights which I can't stand. We won't need a very large cake for the day itself, so another budget idea of mine is to buy a plain iced fruit cake (Christmas cake?) from the local baker's to cut up to take to work for my many colleagues, of whom only a very few will be invited to the wedding.

Suppliers of everything wedding-related expect couples to have unlimited funds. They charge over the odds for just about everything and I know many couples think it's perfectly alright to spend many thousands of pounds. In some ways I suppose I can't blame them, it's a current trend, but I bought my first house for less than the "average" wedding costs these days! But there is something very satisfying about making things yourself, and whether or not anyone else appreciates the time and effort put in, it makes me feel good.

If I come across any more good ideas I'll be sure to let you know.

Regards,
Caz

Edited by rockincaz, 04 April 2012 - 12:13 AM.

cymraeg bride

cymraeg bride

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Who are you?:bride to be
  • Wedding Day:27/07/2013
hi

im still in the planning too , well its planned really just waiting for the day !

we are having a small intimate wedding , with a total including ourselves of 19 .

we are getting married in the registry office and then onto a country pub , we will not have exclusive use of the restraunt but will have half of it , which is absolutley perfect for us .

my dress , sandles, bm dress and sons suit is all off ebay as will the ties be , my dress is new , bm dress worn once , sandles imaculate ( and will be going back on ebay after my day lol) my sons suit is brand new too .

my save the date magnets doubled up as invites and i have had some rose petals to sprinkle on the tables all off good old ebay.

my father is helping towards paying for the venue .

we are not having wedding cars as we are going on honeymoon straight after . we are also saving money by not having a photographer instead our guest will bring their cameras and we will make an album up with their snaps :D .
oh and were not haviong a traditional wedding cake , we are having cupcakes made .

for us its about finalising everything and sealing our already secure relationship , we already have the house and family . its a day about us not everyone else , we do not need all the glitz and glamour and big pow ! nor do we wnat it .

what we have planned is perfect for us :D

Edited by cymraeg bride, 05 November 2012 - 02:41 PM.

amandajayne

amandajayne

Advertiser

• Wedding Ideas advertisers
  • 97 posts
Hi there

We are here to help brides get a great venue for a great price we have deals all around the country for dicounted wedding venues for upto 60% discount. please check out our website www.ukweddingsavings.co.uk

KirstyS

KirstyS

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Who are you?:Bride
  • Wedding Day:26-01-2013
I suppose it depends on what a budget is in todays terms. I tried to do it and really struggled. I do not have the time to handmake things and have struggled to find the time to do the things like compiling guest info, writing invites, booking etc.

We were given £4000 by a relative to get married and although I don't have a final balance I think it'll be about £6000 so way above what I wanted it to be. However I got a great deal on my venue (or did in comparison to other venues in my area).

Winter-Bride

Winter-Bride

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Wedding Day:09/11/2013
Hi, we are still in the planning stages really. We are getting married in November. We have saved quite a bit of money by having a 6'oclock in the evening wedding. We are getting marries in our local Chapel at 6 in the evening and we are going onto the local football club for our night do. The club is really beautiful and not how you would imagine one to look. So by not having a wedding breakfast we have saved around 5 grand wich we really didnt have. Our budget is very tight but so far its not looking like we are on a budget. With it been in November our decorations are going to be twigs in vases that we have sprayed white and glittery. Its going to look lovely and i think a night wedding is a perfect idea for a bride on a budget. xx

chiznand

chiznand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • Wedding Day:21/12/2013

PS - don't underestimate the cheap $1 / $2 shops for items - unless you want the glitz and glam then those shops are perfect - paper lanterns at $2 or $10 each. I know which i prefer and no one can tell.

HAHA I have got loads of the paper lanterns and stars from there. $2 is about £1 for anyone wondering. They have been sent home in batches when we have had visitors come over.

*TheFutureMrsP*

*TheFutureMrsP*

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Wedding Day:21-04-2014
We are getting married on a budget. We have gratefully received financial help with the venue costs which had been a massive help but everything else we are doing for 3k. We have saved money by getting married on a weekday, we are having only two courses (the main course will be very filling so three courses are not necessary!) we also saved money by booking our venue on the venues open day.
Other ways we have saved money:
- Enlisting favours from friends and family, we are saving money on our cake, flowers and videography.
- Getting crafty - got all if our material for making invitations from Hobbycraft for under 40. Used wedding chicks for save the dates. Used alphabetised rubber stamps to do the place cards.
- eBay is your friend!
- Research research research, sometimes when you dig a little deeper you find the gems. The suppliers that are on the first pages of your google search are not because they are the most popular but because they paid to be on the first few pages.
- Negotiate. We managed to get our amazing, award winning photographer at a price we could afford because the photographer was willing to negotiate. Don't be afraid to ask!

Hope that helps :-)

Edited by *TheFutureMrsP*, 23 May 2013 - 08:50 AM.

stephjo39

stephjo39

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Who are you?:bride
  • Wedding Day:20-01-2016
we are also getting married on a budget, although we are getting married on a Saturday booking it early helped. we are not getting married until 2016 but have booked the venue and are in the process of booking the photographer, we also found that if we went for one of the hotels packages it was cheaper. by buying the dresses for myself and the bridesmaids online we are also saving money that well. we are also saving on flowers by doing them myself and cars.

Phyra

Phyra

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Wedding Day:06-08-2012

We went on a budget, the decor was done by me and my bridesmaids and we added a custom decorative touch to the wedding bomboniere boxes after we purchased the flat pack boxes along with our wedding invitations and statoinery that we got for a really awesome price from DreamDay Invitations (www.dreamdayinvitations.com.au) and we had a friend do our wedding photography (he had a fancy camera and was really artistic), and oh oh, my friend's band played at our wedding. We tried to spend most of our budget on food and drinks :)

Edited by Phyra, 06 June 2014 - 10:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users