Welcome to Wedding Ideas Chat
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Lunches?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

Pickle

Pickle

• Members
  • 129 posts
As it's getting towards summer I want to try and spice up my packed lunches. Soup is a bit warm now, any ideas?? Thanx

MrsDens

MrsDens

Planning Princess

• Members
  • 8235 posts
Having a similar issue with lunches at the moment (no microwave at work so leftovers are out) so this week I've had lettuce wraps: http://www.bodyism.c...-lettuce-wraps/ (they are lush), rice crust quiche, cold meat and salad, tomorrow i'm having random lunch of hummus, pitta, falafel, crudites and chicken salad.

Will keep my eye on this thread for more lunch ideas :)

Gemma16

Gemma16

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 4532 posts
I generally have cream crackers with humous (jalopeneo, red pepper or caramilsed onion flavours)

But today I mixed it up a bit and had a bagle :lol:

Sometimes I bring a salad in, or cold left overs like rice, pasta or quiche - savoury rice is my fav

Fortunately we have an on site canteen, so if I ever get stuck, I know I can always fall back on that.

xx

Gemma16

Gemma16

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 4532 posts
oh! I also do wraps and crumpets too!

xx

Gemma16

Gemma16

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 4532 posts
Me again! just realised I'm in the weightl loss forum, :lol:

When I was on WWs, I used to have WW bread with a slice of wafer thin ham and a cheese slice/triangle - it was nicer than it sounds!

xx

Nobody

Nobody

Master Planner

• Members
  • 6086 posts
I have

Homemade tomato and mascarpone soup - it does t feel like a winter meal though as reminds me of pasta with the mascarpone

Salad with cheese and pink sauce

Bagel

Wholemeal wrap with salad and cheese

Leftovers

Rice flavoured with a stock cube then just loads of random bits of veg in e.g pepper,lettuce, cucumber, sprig onion, cherry toms, mushroom, bean sprouts

Sandwich

Stuffed pitta bread

Hmm not sure what else..

veebers

veebers

HRH Wedding Ideas!

• Monitors
  • 18884 posts
Mrs Dens, pot noodle. :). I can tell that's soooo you :lol:

Nobody

Nobody

Master Planner

• Members
  • 6086 posts
might tr those lettuce wraps

Nobody

Nobody

Master Planner

• Members
  • 6086 posts

:lol:

Pickle

Pickle

• Members
  • 129 posts
Many thanks everyone. Lettuce wraps look good. Can you recommend a good recipe for the tomato and marscapone soup? I like cooking and want to try more things!

Mrs ThorpeCloud

Mrs ThorpeCloud

Permanent Resident

• Members
  • 20124 posts

That was how I survived lunch time when I was pregnant, it wasn't food so it was OK to eat :P
I followed it up with a pot of jelly.

Nobody

Nobody

Master Planner

• Members
  • 6086 posts
I'll link that soup later it's pee easy!

Oh and I dreamt about pot noodles last night lol!!

MrsDens

MrsDens

Planning Princess

• Members
  • 8235 posts
Actually Veebs you're right! - When I was at school I used to love pot noodle for lunch but only the blue chow mein ones....mmmm.

Anyway back to the lunches, we've had minestrone soup a few times in the last couple of weeks, I don't tend to think of that as a winter soup, plus its YUM.

BeccaBell

BeccaBell

Posting Pro

• Members
  • 525 posts
Mrs Dens I made those lettuce wraps for lunch today.

AMAZING - I thought I'd miss the bread but they're gorgeous and so filling! Thats my summer lunches sorted!

B xx

MrsDens

MrsDens

Planning Princess

• Members
  • 8235 posts
I know, you think you're going to be hungry but actually you aren't a bit (must be the hummus - yum!)

Niccles

Niccles

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 4720 posts
ohhhhhh they look good!

do u make ur own houmous??

probably filling as well cos the lettuce has high water content.....

i quite like ryvita with tuna/cucumber/beetroot on them or other such things....i buy the ones with seeds in as well and then that makes me feel healthy.....well healthier....

MrsDens

MrsDens

Planning Princess

• Members
  • 8235 posts
I don't make my own hummus I just buy organic with the least amount of ingredients on the back - waitrose is my favourite.

I'm trying my hardest to eat the cleanest food possible which means ideally I'd do everything homemade but if I have to buy something then it should have the least possible number of ingredients on the back and never to buy anything where the firs 3 ingredients are any form of sugar. Thats why I love the wraps, they're so easy.

Niccles

Niccles

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 4720 posts

I don't make my own hummus I just buy organic with the least amount of ingredients on the back - waitrose is my favourite.

I'm trying my hardest to eat the cleanest food possible which means ideally I'd do everything homemade but if I have to buy something then it should have the least possible number of ingredients on the back and never to buy anything where the firs 3 ingredients are any form of sugar. Thats why I love the wraps, they're so easy.

definitely buying the ingredients in the weekly shop tomorrow....do u use two leaves of lettuce for each one?? i need a picture of how to do them :(

MrsDens

MrsDens

Planning Princess

• Members
  • 8235 posts
I just get one leaf off spread that as best as I can with about a tablespoon of hummus, sprinkle on some paprika, then add the turkey (or whatever meat you're using - its nice with leftover chicken and homemade mayo instead of the hummus) then the veggies and roll up. I will say if you can then make then just before you eat theem otherwise if you've got watery veg like cucumber in there they will drip a bit from the bottom! I tihnk in the recipe it says to put and extra leaf over the top before you roll them but I've never done that.

Niccles

Niccles

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 4720 posts
kewl thanx thats where i was getting confused! i was like where does this extra leaf go!!!

I WANT THEM NOW!

MrsDens

MrsDens

Planning Princess

• Members
  • 8235 posts
You should also try his rice crust quiche, its delicious.

Niccles

Niccles

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 4720 posts

You should also try his rice crust quiche, its delicious.

saw that on your blog...u got a recipe for it?

MrsNunny

MrsNunny

Nothing tastes as good as being slim & healthy feels

• Members
  • 6494 posts
I think I will try the lettuce wraps and rice crust quiches too. Will check the calories on mfp for the quiche first tho! I love quiche but I have to eat the whole thing, can't just have a bit. Well, I suppose if all I take to work is just a bit of it then I won't have a choice :lol:

MrsDens

MrsDens

Planning Princess

• Members
  • 8235 posts
Its from the Clean and Lean Cookbook but basically its:

270g cooked brown rice
one egg white
3 whole eggs
50g organic cheddar cheese
175ml organic milk
Any vegetables you want.

Cook the rice and once drained add the egg white and mix well. Wipe a touch of olive oil over the dish you are using (the recipe doesn't say to do this but its much easier to get the quiche out at the end if you don't have a loose bottomed dish!) push the rice and egg mix into the dish - be careful that you don't have any gaps and that the mix is well compact, pop this in the oven at 180*fan for 10 minutes. Once that's done arrange the vegetables in the quiche dish, whisk up the eggs with the milk and season, add the 50g grated cheese to the egg mix and pour over the top of the vegetables. Cook in the oven at the same heat for 40 minutes, until the top is golden.

MrsDens

MrsDens

Planning Princess

• Members
  • 8235 posts
Mrs N a quarter of a quiche comes out at around 300 calories depending on what you put in there, the last one i made was brocolli, leek, onion and ham and was 302 per quarter.

MrsNunny

MrsNunny

• Members
  • 6494 posts
Man I want a quiche now............

MrsDens

MrsDens

Planning Princess

• Members
  • 8235 posts
Might knock one up for lunch.....

MrsNunny

MrsNunny

• Members
  • 6494 posts
Well jel

Nobody

Nobody

Master Planner

• Members
  • 6086 posts
How do you work out what 270g cooked rice is when raw so u know how much to cook?

Mrs Impatient

Mrs Impatient

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 3507 posts
I went through this phase a few weeks ago! Was getting bored with hot soup and then bored with same old salads!!! So here is what I now vary between:

Salads:
Chicken, ham, tuna, sausage, roast beef
Cheese - cheddar, feta, mozzarella
Varied lettuce, cucumber, rocket, spinach, tomatoes
Sweercorn, grated carrot, red onion, avocado, peppers, croutons
Walnuts, pinenuts, almonds
Hard boiled eggs
Apples

Bagels, Pitta, nice granary bread, wraps

Pate - oatcakes or toast
Cottage Cheese - crackers, ryvita, breadsticks, etc
Houmous - carrots, peppers, cucumber

MrsDens

MrsDens

Planning Princess

• Members
  • 8235 posts

How do you work out what 270g cooked rice is when raw so u know how much to cook?

On the packet where it shows nutritional information it says like 50g then (gives 100g cooked) or something so you can divide one by the other and work out how much you would need to get 270g.