Welcome to Wedding Ideas Chat
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

marks and spencer wedding cakes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

Sugarplum_hippo

Sugarplum_hippo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 306 posts
I haven't been able to get in touch with my friend who makes and decorates cakes so I have been thinking of just getting one from M&S. They look like they are a reasonable price and I can have a 3 tier one for between 179-199 and it will be more than big enough for all the guests to have a slice.
Has anybody on here had one or is having one?

Lotte Bear

Lotte Bear

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 2812 posts
There are lovely cakes go for it!

MrsStewart

MrsStewart

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 4033 posts
was going to be going for those ones, or the ones from tesco till i tasted them...
however, h2b now has ideas for a 'doughtnut cake' (we saw it in a magazine)...so now im thinking of having a 'his n hers' cake... you know, one for each...
the m&s ones are fab tho...saves so much time and money!XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Anne Harvey

Anne Harvey

• Members
  • 174 posts
I am - the taste great and look really classy. I am having an extra large maderia, a large fruit, medium maderia (top tier) and a fruit cutting block - 97 bargain! My Mum is doing some floral arrangement bits for it and it will look great (she's a pro). They have some great designs too for funky cakes and you can get them in chocolate and all sorts. I saw a taste test somewhere and they came out best of all supermarket brands - a great choice! laugh.gif

Wilkos-babe

Wilkos-babe

Master Planner

• Members
  • 6286 posts
I was hoing to have M&S cakes but after looking at them they are not what i was looking for

I wanted deeper layers,these are only about 2 1/2 inches in depth,so may be hidden depending on the decoration you want,my mum is a cake maker,but wont be doing mine as she is already making dresses ect,but she said the depth of cake would limit alot of the decoration you can have unless you want small flower decs or ribbon

I want my tiers stacked directly ontop of each other,and again as they are not very deep the total height of cake would be less than 8 inches,the pics in the book make the layers look bigger than what they are

so nope,not for me..but great if thats what you are looking for x

Yeti

Yeti

Forum Star

• Members
  • 1235 posts
'This is not just any wedding cake.... This is an M and S wedding cake handcrafted by Angels.....'!
Good old M and S, I'm getting mine there, I can't imagine anything they do ever tasting naff, so they seemed the natural choice for me!

Guest_sp4np_*

Guest_sp4np_*
  • Guests
I was going to have m&s cakes until I contacted cake makers and managed to get a 3 tiered fruit for 150 people for 120, I only want it plain as I've got ribbon to match colour scheme and I've had cake toppers made of us with the children!
I think cakes become expensive if you want it hugely decorated as this is what takes the time! Good luck!

Guest_hutchy2b_*

Guest_hutchy2b_*
  • Guests
I saw the marks and sparks wedding cakes the other day....55 for lowest teir, 38 pounds for the middle...and cant remember the top one.

but niether of us like fruit cake!! lol....so wasted on us.

H2Bs dad is making our cake smile.gif

Lisa Loon

Lisa Loon

Queen of the Smilies

• Members
  • 13364 posts
Our cake was an M&S fruit cake and we had a spare layer on sponge

PIC of cakes in boxes

PIC of us cutting the cake

PiC of the cake on its own

We had about 80 guests to the evening and there was plenty smile.gif

It was less than 80 as well smile.gif It's gone up in price I see.

Sugarplum_hippo

Sugarplum_hippo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 306 posts
I was thinking of getting the one with fruit cake for the bottom layer then sponge cake for the middle and then chocolate sponge for the top so there is something for everybody. I think with a cute cake topper and some ribbon on or some flowers it would look rather nice. I must add too that 8 inches sounds good to me! wink.gif wink.gif

Guest_dawnydawn_*

Guest_dawnydawn_*
  • Guests

I have heard they are really good. We were going to get one and decorate it ourselfs, just because our budget would not go to 100's of pounds.
However we shopped around and did find someone really reasonable so changed our mind.

Lisa Loon

Lisa Loon

Queen of the Smilies

• Members
  • 13364 posts
Everybody said it was yummy too smile.gif

Sugarplum_hippo

Sugarplum_hippo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 306 posts
think I will have one then and that will be another thing ticked off my list of stuff to sort out.

Snagglepuss

Snagglepuss

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 4267 posts
we're going for M&S cake. We'he having a large fruit tier and a medium sponge tier all for about 60!

Guest_DianeB_*

Guest_DianeB_*
  • Guests
I was going to say go for it as they are lovely and very good value but I can see you have already decided too. Have fun searching for your decorations. Thats another plus I feel as it is truly how you would like it.

Nicola381

Nicola381

Forum Star

• Members
  • 2017 posts
m&s cakes are yummy... the choc one that i have in my planning pics is a good size, a little deeper than the others... more like 3-4inches per layer.

Guest_Glitter Queen_*

Guest_Glitter Queen_*
  • Guests
My sister nearly had an M&S cake but we ended up getting them from Tesco!!!!

It was DELICIOUS & I think for 4 cakes it came to under 35.00.

It was plain with just a bit of piped icing on it & Rachel decorated it with some gorgeous toppers the florist made her

rallybunny

rallybunny

HRH Wedding Ideas!

• Members
  • 10729 posts
I was going to go for the "chocolate rose" cake, but when I looked at the measurements, it's only about 8 inches tall. I am sure it's yummy though. I have ordered a fruit cutting bar and a sponge cutting bar to go alongside my cake that I ordered from Austria though. The whole lot including buying a cake stand is only costing about 20 more than the M&S cake.

Guest_Lisa B_*

Guest_Lisa B_*
  • Guests
QUOTE(Sugarplum_hippo @ Mar 13 2008, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was thinking of getting the one with fruit cake for the bottom layer then sponge cake for the middle and then chocolate sponge for the top so there is something for everybody. I think with a cute cake topper and some ribbon on or some flowers it would look rather nice. I must add too that 8 inches sounds good to me! wink.gif wink.gif

That's exactly what we're going for!!

We're just decorating with cream ribbon and getting a cake topper done by artelockdesigns.co.uk- it's 75 but will be a keepsake. H2B doesn't know about it...

Lisa B

Nicola381

Nicola381

Forum Star

• Members
  • 2017 posts
QUOTE(rallybunny @ Mar 14 2008, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was going to go for the "chocolate rose" cake, but when I looked at the measurements, it's only about 8 inches tall. I am sure it's yummy though. I have ordered a fruit cutting bar and a sponge cutting bar to go alongside my cake that I ordered from Austria though. The whole lot including buying a cake stand is only costing about 20 more than the M&S cake.

A friend of mine had one of these in december... it was definately taller than 8 inches... maybe they made them bigger. It was more like 12 inches, which is about right for a 3 tier cake. It serves 144.

Guest_nessieB_*

Guest_nessieB_*
  • Guests
for any one on a tighter budget than M & S, tesco do a finest range on wedding cakes and you can get madeira or fruit on 3 different size tiers, thats what we're going for, cake is cake to me and my florist is doing a cake topper, so i don't think people will be any the wiser! laugh.gif

rallybunny

rallybunny

HRH Wedding Ideas!

• Members
  • 10729 posts
QUOTE(Nicola381 @ Mar 14 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A friend of mine had one of these in december... it was definately taller than 8 inches... maybe they made them bigger. It was more like 12 inches, which is about right for a 3 tier cake. It serves 144.

It says each tier is 6.5cm. I guess by the time you count in the cake board and decorations it's probably a bit taller.

Guest_Mrs-soon2b-Ball!_*

Guest_Mrs-soon2b-Ball!_*
  • Guests
I was going to go for an M&S cake but after justsarah's advice I have started looking at local bakeries and see if i can get one made. the venue has a beautiful cake stand so want to make the most of it.

*MrsSmith*

*MrsSmith*

Wedding Whizz

• Members
  • 3698 posts
QUOTE(Glitter Queen @ Mar 14 2008, 07:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My sister nearly had an M&S cake but we ended up getting them from Tesco!!!!

It was DELICIOUS & I think for 4 cakes it came to under 35.00.

It was plain with just a bit of piped icing on it & Rachel decorated it with some gorgeous toppers the florist made her

have you got any pics? x